March 2, 2011

Be Authentic

Jen from MsMorphosis.com recently wrote a wonderful article How to Live a Long & Happy Life on her blog and one of her points really spoke to me so I wanted to share it here with you guys. 


Be Authentic

One of my mottos in life is the Wayne Dyer quote “You don’t attract what you want, you attract what you are.” This is one of the hardest things to accept in life, because it makes us take responsibility for the external things that aren’t working for us. The truth is, if love/relationships has never gone so well, you aren't attracting the wrong people because the universe is conspiring against you, you’re attracting the wrong people because something in you attracts them. Rather than focusing on finding better mates (external) work on identifying what’s repressed/hurting/etc. in you that could be manifesting itself as romantic partners. I bet you a million dollars that when you address the stuff inside, the stuff on the outside will start to match.
This has another powerful ramification: when you start acting authentically, there is an obvious fear that you will be rejected/thrown under a bus/left for dead in the world, but there’s also the ability to work through these fears like never before. 
The more authentically I act, the more afraid I am at first, but I’m always able to tell myself that if ________ rejects me (the person, the job, the whatever) then the truth is that they just aren’t a match for me – because I’m being myself. 
That’s all I can do, in the long run. Be a person I’m proud of and be true and authentic to that person.
“The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud.”    - Coco Chanel

No comments:

Post a Comment